Since March 2021, Furze Platt have become a member school of Potential Plus, a charity that supports children with high learning potential. As part of this membership, we are working towards the ‘High Learning Potential Best Practice Award’ in recognition that we are meeting the needs of high potential learners.
Potential Plus provides support, expertise and resources to improve academic, social and emotional outcomes for high potential learners, with access to experts who provide guidance and advice on all aspects of provision.
The charity uses the terms ‘high learning potential’ (HLP) and ‘high potential learners’, as these better represent the process of nurturing the strengths and abilities of these young people whilst reminding them that success requires sustained effort – that they are not a finished product.
As part of our school membership, parents of the school are eligible for free Associate Membership. As part of this membership you can have access to:
- Blogs on key topics, e.g. living with teenagers with high learning potential
- Members’ online community with specialist groups, forums, and e-resources (including free downloadable advice sheets on subjects like dealing with perfectionism or parenting a child with high learning potential; and activity packs for children)
- Monthly Focus on Potential e-magazine signposting opportunities, events and information for families
- A range of low-cost or free online events for young people e.g. maths challenges, science, writing or drawing workshops
- A variety of free online Fireside Chats looking at issues identified by parents
- Access to the Big Family Weekend, with a wealth of speakers, activities, advice sessions and workshops for parents and young people
- A range of online or in-school parent workshops which are consistently rated as excellent
See the documents below for more information and advice.