Skip to content ↓

Post Brexit Travel Advice

Brexit will have an effect on some areas of life in the UK and this may include changes to travel to and from EU countries.

If the transition period ends before an EU trade deal has been agreed (a 'no deal' situation), you may need different documents to visit and drive in:

  • the EU
  • Norway
  • Liechtenstein
  • Switzerland
  • Iceland
  • Andorra

This includes travel to these countries by air, sea, coach, rail or Eurotunnel shuttle. Your legal rights as a passenger will stay the same.


If the transition period ends before an EU trade deal has been agreed (a 'no deal' situation), the rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change for UK passport holders.

If you travel to an EU country after Brexit, you should have at least 6 months left on your passport from the date you arrive. Your passport should also be less than 10 years old.

GOV.UK has guidance which gives more information on which countries this affects.

The existing Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland will continue. GOV.UK has more information on this.

Holidays and travel

If you're planning to travel by air, sea, coach, rail or Eurotunnel shuttle after Brexit, all these services are expected to run as normal after Brexit. However, you should check with your travel company for the latest information before you leave.

If any of these services are delayed or cancelled, your consumer rights will remain the same.

The European Commission has said that there will be no difference to travel and holidaymakers won't need a visa during the 'transition period' (where the UK has left the EU but still follows EU rules while the new arrangements are made).

You may still need to check your passport is valid for at least six months after the date you plan to travel. If you're travelling with a pet, or planning to drive in mainland Europe, you may need to make extra arrangements.

GOV.UK has more information on this.

Travel insurance

If you have a European Health Insurance Card, it may not be valid after Brexit. You must make sure that you have suitable insurance and healthcare cover, especially if you have a pre-existing condition. The official NHS advice is "The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both when you travel abroad. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts or being flown back to the UK."

Driving in the EU

If you're planning to drive in the EU after Brexit and have a UK Driving Licence, you may need to apply for and carry an International Driving Permit.

GOV.UK has guidance on this.

You may also need to apply for and carry a Green Card to prove you have third party insurance if you're driving in:

  • the EU
  • EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway)
  • Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland


More information is available at ABTA - Brexit advice for travellers