Curriculum Aims (Intent)
We are ambitious for what our students can and will achieve. Central to our purpose as a school is the curriculum that helps structure the experience students receive each day. We aspire that our curriculum is inspirational and motivational helping students of whatever background to understand and access the vast range of opportunities open to them within and beyond Furze Platt Senior School.
Our aim is to provide students with a curriculum that is stimulating, varied and relevant. Our inclusive school gives each student a broad balanced curriculum which is responsive to individual needs and which provides them with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary for success in further study, in the workplace, and as active participants in all aspects of their lives.
Through our curriculum we aim to ensure that students:
- enjoy stimulating, challenging and rewarding learning experiences no matter what their social backgrounds may be;
- develop self-esteem, self-worth and self-confidence;
- develop positive attitudes to learning together with deep and sustained knowledge and understanding;
- experience a broad range of subjects, content, ideas and concepts in Years 7 and 8, leading to more specialised study in Years 9-13;
- have the opportunity to undertake, as far as possible the full suite of English Baccalaureate qualifications at Key Stage 4;
- experience effective and varying teaching methods to provide diversity within the curriculum;
- have their individual needs met in order that they can access the curriculum, or that alternative arrangements are in place where required;
- develop strong personal moral values, respect for religious values and an understanding of other races, beliefs and ways of life;
- promote character education and develop the foundations for lifelong learning, fulfilling employment, and active citizenship;
- are able to make choices for Key Stage 4, post 16 and are well qualified to progress to higher education, apprenticeships and employment.